Friday, September 19, 2014

Arrr! It Be Talk Like a Pirate Day!

 
Avast me hearties, will ye drop anchor and visit with me a bit?  'Tis time t' flap yer jaws like a buccaneer as today be Talk Like a Pirate Day.  Thar be parrrrties, fund-raisers, pub crawls, and other special events takin' place all over th' world today.

Fer thems o' ye who be unawares o' this unique occasion, it starrrrted out as a fun concept in 1995, encourrrragin' people t' talk like a pirate.  It be created by John Baur (Ol' Chumbucket) and Mark Summers (Cap'n Slappy), hailin' from th' state o' Oregon in th' U.S.  Accorrrrdin' t' Summers, th' day be invented as th' result o' a sports injury. While th' two mateys be playin' racquetball, one o' thems reacted t' th' pain with an outburst o' "Aaarrr!", and th' idea be born.  Thems two scallywags sent a letter about thar invented holiday t' th' American syndicated humor columnist Dave Barry in 2002.  This chap be likin' th' idea so much he promoted it.  Th' media grabbed hold o' th' holiday after Barry's column and it now be an international event followed by many each year on September 19th.

T' help celebrate this glorious day wit' a bit 'o swag, I be givin' ye fer free some treasure...
https://app.box.com/s/ucgjxfkltgtsx06esyhb
T' be grabbin' this treasure, click HERE or on th' preview above t' be taken t' a download location.  In th' zip folder ye will find a copy of th' treasure, tis' preview sheet, th' credit information and me terms o' use which are standard t' all me folders. This treasure be 3600 x 3600 pixels, in jpg format and published at 300 dpi.
  
Now o' course I can't be sendn' ye along yer way without a pirate joke or two:

Q:   What kind o' socks does a pirate wear? 
       A:   Arrrrgyle!
 

Q:  What 'tis th' problem with th' way a pirate speaks? 
       A:   Arrrrticulation!

So, ye scurvy knave, avoid feelin' a taste o' th' 'cat a nine tails aroun ya scabby back and make cerrrrrtain ye and yer land lubber mates around ya be talkin' like a pirate throughout yer day. 

Oh, and if ye be interested in findin' yer own inner pirate, be sure t' take th' Official Talk Like a Pirate Personality Inventory (TOTLAPPI) over on th' official Talk Like a Pirate website available by clickn' HERE. T' find out more fun facts about this fun day, be sure to check out th' official Talk Like a Pirate website available HERE.

Until I be sailin' these fair seas again,


Note about me pirate name...
Passion be a big part of me life, which makes sense fer a pirate. Even though I not always be th' traditional swaggerin' gallant, me steadiness and plannin' make me a fine, reliable pirate.   Arrr! 

If ye be wantn' yer own pirate name, be cerrrrtain t' click HERE.
 
References:
Baur, John and Mark Summers. (2002-2014). FAQ. Available: http://www.talklikeapirate.com/faq.html. Last accessed 18th September 2014.

Author Unknown. (N.D.). International Talk Like a Pirate Day. Available: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Talk_Like_a_Pirate_Day. Last accessed 18th September 2014.



3 comments:

Lisa Minckler said...

LOLOLOL! I knew someone was going to remind me of this day and lo and behold it's you...I LOVE IT! Your pirate name is a hoot. :)
Thanks for the great post my friend :)
The Other one

ike said...

Aaarrrr !! I thank 'ee fer this fabulous booty :-D
Hugz
IKE xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Crafting Vicky said...

Thank you so much my friend for the e-mail with the link! I've been pretty bad not visiting at all recently. That pirate paper is just fabulous!!! And shows how talented you are. Thank you for sharing with us!